What is Social Mission?
The social mission of a health professions school is the contribution of the school in its mission, programs, and the performance of its graduates, faculty and leadership in advancing health equity and addressing the health disparities of the society in which it exists.
Health professions education in which social mission is present, prominent, and valued to drive health equity and improved health for individuals, communities,
The Beyond Flexner Alliance aims to elevate social mission in health professions education by mobilizing and amplifying learners, teachers, community leaders, policymakers, and their organizations to advance equity in education, research, service, policy, and practice.
Core Concepts and Principles
Ways in which we will pursue our vision and achieve our mission are:
- Promote a culture of accountability in health professions education that values health equity
- Raise public consciousness about social mission
- Impact future leaders’ understanding and commitment to social mission
- Create social mission standards and metrics to augment mission awareness atmultiple levels
- Serve as repository for strategies that advance social mission
- Support pathways to assure a diverse workforce including leadership
- Engage similar and diverse perspectives
- Be regionally relevant
- Advocate, Question, Disrupt